Friday, November 30, 2012

If you want to make God laugh...



            Back in late August my wife and I made a decision to move to Colorado.  I had decided to take the year off from teaching and stay at home with our daughter Neyla.  This decision just made the most sense for our family, I worked 35 miles away from our home and Janae worked 2 el stops away (about a 7 minute train ride for you non-Chicagoans).  However, Janae’s company had just allowed her to work from home and we thought, “This means we could live anywhere.”  We knew that this job of Janae’s wasn’t going to last forever, so we thought about moving and we very quickly decided that moving to Copper Mountain, CO would be a great temporary decision.  When I say temporary, I mean to say that it would be less than a year, but there was no telling where we would be after a year. 
            We moved to Colorado in mid-September and Janae’s job wasn’t going too well.  There’s not much market anymore for the type of product Janae sells and she was beginning to become disheartened and was thinking of looking for a new job here in Colorado.  She went on interviews and looked extensively, but strangely for someone so intelligent and qualified, nothing seemed to work out.  One night Janae and I were eating dinner and she said, “I’ve tried to find a good new job, it’s not working.  You need to start looking.”  I tried to calm her down and tell her I would, but the problem is for teachers it is virtually impossible to find a job in the middle of the school year, one would need a minor miracle for this to happen.
            So…. I woke up the next morning and while drinking a cup of coffee I started on Craigslist, never expecting to find anything, but I thought I’d try.  I looked in the education, writing and non-profit sections in Denver and Boulder, but did not really find much.  There were a few ads that I responded to, but they were either part time jobs or sketchy postings.  Around this time Janae had joined me eating breakfast and drinking coffee and I notified her that me finding a job wasn’t looking too good.  Then I clicked on the Ft. Collins, CO craigslist, even though we lived about 3 hours away from there.  I had been there once during college and really liked it and thought that we could move there if they had a good job opening.  I didn’t find much, but I did find an ad for an 8th grade teacher in “Majuro, Marshall Islands.”  I clicked on it curiously, looked at Janae and said, “Hey, here’s a job in January.  Do you want to move to the Marshall Islands?”  She asked me where that was and when I told her it was about halfway between Hawai’i and Australia she said, “that sounds amazing.”  So on Nov. 9 at about 9:00 am, I responded to the post never thinking I would ever hear back.
           
             A few hours later I received a reply to my email.  It was a quite extensive email from the K-8 principal at Majuro Cooperative School giving me all sorts of details on the available position and the school.  The principal ended the email by saying that if I was still interested I should send her a resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation.  I quickly told Janae about the email and we began getting really excited.  Ever since we had started dating one of our dreams was to live abroad together.  When I told her 2 years ago about how it’s not terribly difficult for a good teacher to find a job abroad, she said that is was something we needed to do.  We thought the chance that I would get this job would be very low, since I’ve never taught Middle School, but I took the next two hours and got all of my documents together and carefully crafted a response email.  I still didn’t think I’d have a real shot.
           
(Majuro Coop School)

         Later that day I decided to go skiing for a few hours.  When I got back I had yet another long email from the Principal, and after reading this we started to entertain the possibility that they may actually be interested in hiring me.  She sounded very positive after reading through my documents and wanted to schedule an interview via Skype ASAP.  By the end of that day we had a Skype interview scheduled and Janae and I were both extremely excited, but we didn’t want to get too excited. 
            That next weekend I was visiting friends in Chicago and had to go to a coffee shop to do the interview via Skype.  After chatting with the Principal for about an hour I knew that this was definitely something that I wanted to do and theory went from reality pretty quickly.  In theory, Janae and I always wanted to live abroad and I always wanted to teach abroad, but now it was seemingly becoming more realistic to move to this small Island nation in Micronesia.  We slowly started telling our close friends and family about this opportunity and so many people were so excited for us.  Of course, they were going to miss us and we them, but this was the opportunity of a lifetime and our close friends knew that and that we had always wanted to do this. 
            Within a few weeks we had relocated from our beloved Chicago to the mountains of Colorado and now within a few short days we had gone from thinking about where in Colorado we wanted to live and work to realizing the next year and a half of our lives could be spent in Majuro, Marshall Islands.  A week after my first Skype interview I had another Skype interview with the Principal and two other teachers with whom I would teach.  It was very casual and again I perceived it to go very well, and now we had to wait for either an offer or not. 
            
(Majuro Atoll from above, yes it's small)

            The next morning I woke to an email offering me the 8th grade-teaching job at Majuro Cooperative School.  I was elated.  It seemed that this was something that Janae and I were destined to do.  Too many strange things had occurred over the past 3 to 4 months that seemed to conspire to this amazing outcome.  Janae had been trying now for almost 9 months to find a new job, and nothing worked out.  We went to our pediatrician and amazingly she had lived in Micronesia for 20 years and told us we would love it.  And I apply for one job via Craigslist and it works out amazingly.  The only thing Janae and I could conclude was that this job and Majuro were where we are supposed to be now.  I accepted the job and all of a sudden we were moving halfway around the world within the next 6 weeks.  Excited does not begin to describe how we felt.  This is not to say that we are not going to miss our friends and family, but we are supposed to be there.  I’m not the type of person to make plans.  I try and let things in life happen.  I love that quote, “If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.”  We live in a society hell bent on making plans and controlling things.  The problem is that when you do this you close off so many chances and opportunities that maybe you should take. 
            This opportunity has presented itself to us and we are going to latch onto it whole-heartedly.  We can’t wait to start our new life in Majuro. 


            (Marshall Islands Int'l Airport, no that's not photoshopped)

No comments:

Post a Comment