Sunday, October 6, 2013

"Just a Mom"


In defense of being "just a mom"
by Janae Rusin


            I am officially banning the use of this phrase from my presence: just a mom. For those that knew me pretty much anytime before Neyla, you probably knew one of my worst fears was being just a mom. But now, I am taking care of Neyla as my full time job. What happened to me?
            I'm still getting used to my new occupation. When I met someone the other day, and they asked me what I did, I immediately replied, "Nothing." I felt like Hugh Grant in About a Boy. But in my case, that actually is not the right answer. I hang out with Neyla all day, and I make sure my little toddler doesn't kill herself. There's more to it, but that part is my biggest job, I would say. 
            I hate the lingo we use to describe full-time moms. We need to get a better PR team because they are all crap. Stay at home mom: what, I just sit at home all day? No that is not right. Full time mom: So if you work at a job with a paycheck, you are only a mom part time? That's not right either. People describe moms with a paycheck as work outside the home moms. Again, I work outside the home all the time. We also use working mom. I work, I promise you that!
            Recently our neighbor had a couch surfer come through and stay on our compound. He was in his mid-20s and was stopping through Majuro on his traveling world tour. When he was sitting next to me, my neighbor and fellow "no paycheck mom" (copyright Janae Rusin, 2013), he said, "It must be so amazing to just sit here, chill out all day, and do nothing!" I think that was the closest I've come to inciting physical violence in my life. For many, that is the perception. And please note, I include the younger, less wise version of myself.
            If you have never had to make the agonizing decision of staying at home with your children or getting a job, then you are not allowed to comment on being "just a mom." The funny part is, mostly women use this phrase on other women. C'mon ladies: aren't we truly liberated when we can make this decision for ourselves and for our family without criticizing one another? And it doesn't matter how smart you are. Really smart moms and educated moms are allowed to stay at home with their kids and should not feel like they are wasting their intelligence. This is why the phrase "just a mom" is so offensive to me. When people say it, they are implying that you are not fulfilling some duty to... God knows what...work at a corporation? We don't look down on teachers for teaching our children, why should we look down on moms for doing the same thing?
            It's not hard to see why being a full time mom is looked down upon. The pay sucks. The benefits are nonexistent. There's no such thing as a sick day and no days off. You pretty much deal with pee and poop for a good chunk of your day. It's not glamourous. Our capitalistic culture values money and prestige. None of which exists raising a kid. That's why I contend you cannot comment on this lifestyle choice until you've had kids.
            Hold your newborn in your arms the first day of their life, and then tell me it's easy to go back to work. Many women or men do not have the luxury of having a choice whether to go back to work or not. Many have to go to work for a paycheck to put food on the table. I know now what my younger self never realized: that I have the privilege of raising Neyla full time. I get more fulfillment and find more meaning out of one day of being "just a mom" than I ever did at my corporate job.
            I don't wish to make it sound like it's been any easy decision for me to stay with Neyla full time. It's been incredibly challenging and one I question almost on a daily basis. There's a good chance when I go back to the States I will get a paycheck job, mostly because I miss intellectual stimulation that Dora just can't give me. But if that happens, I will not regret one day of my time being a stay at home mom. And I will never again use the phrase to describe a no paycheck mom as "just a mom."
            

No comments:

Post a Comment